Independent Director Services
In a period of increased concern about appropriate corporate disclosure, management self-interest and compensation issues, the independent directors and board committees of public companies may need the services of dedicated counsel. Maslon has a long history of representing public companies in such matters and many of our lawyers also have personal experience serving as directors and board committee members. We understand the risks and demands.
That's why directors, boards and committees of so many businesses, ranging from emerging growth ventures to established NASDAQ and NYSE companies, depend on us for sound guidance. We've skillfully assisted companies in responding to critical issues—from changing governance structure to managing whistleblower complaints, from revising omnibus stock plans to structuring executive compensation. And, backed by our noted Litigation Group, we've helped conduct effective internal investigations, respond to SEC inquiries, and turn back shareholder lawsuits.
Our Independent Director Services include:
- Compliance with the Sarbanes-Oxley Act and other legal requirements
- Risk management from a director's perspective
- Preparing committee charters, codes of ethics and disclosure policies
- Corporate governance legal audits
- Annual governance "check ups"
- Evaluating conflict of interest issues
- Internal investigations of improprieties
- SEC inquiries or investigations
- Evaluating the hiring or firing of independent auditors
- Shareholder lawsuits
Contact one of our attorneys to learn more about the practical, ethical guidance we can provide to help you navigate complex director regulations and obligations.