Julian Zebot is a partner in Maslon's Litigation Group and focuses his practice on fiduciary and trust litigation, as well as commercial litigation involving claims of unfair business competition.
He has broad experience litigating and resolving disputes involving fiduciary duties, trusts, probate, business torts, Lanham Act claims, class actions, and other complex commercial litigation, including litigation involving banks, other financial service businesses, and closely held corporations.
Julian has represented both individuals and businesses in federal and state courts, as well as arbitration proceedings, and has had first chair trial experience. Julian has been selected for inclusion on the Minnesota Rising Stars list every year since 2010.
- Represented the officers and directors of an online brokerage service in a putative securities class action lawsuit and won dismissal of all the claims.
- Represented, as part of a team of attorneys, a non-controlling shareholder in a closely held medical device company in squeeze-out litigation and helped to obtain a favorable resolution for the client.
- Represented individual client in litigation surrounding the proceeds of the client’s father’s estate and obtained a jury verdict in favor of the client.
- Represented an individual partner in a lawsuit regarding a failed real estate development and helped to obtain voluntary dismissal of claims against the client.
- Represented, as part of a team of attorneys, a Fortune 500 manufacturer in a putative environmental liability/mass tort class action lawsuit and helped to obtain a defense jury verdict.
- Represented, as part of a team of attorneys, an officer and director of a wind energy development company in litigation regarding acquisition of the company and assisted in obtaining a favorable resolution for the client.
- Represented individual guarantors in litigation regarding defaulted loan obligation and helped to obtain a favorable resolution for the clients.
- Represented watch manufacturer in litigation regarding termination of its sales representative firm and obtained a favorable resolution for the client.
- Represented, as part of a team of attorneys, an LLC pursuing breach of fiduciary duty and negligence claims on behalf of investors in a futures hedge fund against the fund’s former manager and helped to obtain a favorable resolution for the client.
- Represented a bank in litigation involving a mortgage repurchase agreement and helped to negotiate dismissal of claims against the client.
- Represented, as part of a team of attorneys, a bank in securities lending litigation and served as appellate counsel during trial.
- Represented income beneficiaries in litigation relating to charitable remainder unitrusts and helped to obtain a favorable order deferring decision on the merits to pending litigation in a different jurisdiction.
- Currently represents bank/corporate trustee in litigation relating to a family trust’s plan of distribution.
- Currently represents bank/corporate trustee in litigation relating to the diversification of the trust’s investment portfolio.
- Currently represents a medical device manufacturer and its sales representative in unfair competition litigation involving a competitor.
- Currently represents a manufacturer in a natural resources damages lawsuit brought by the State of Minnesota.
- Currently represents a publicly traded manufacturer in arbitration stemming from its former sales representative firm’s termination of the contract between the parties.
Representative Published Decisions:
- Larkin v. Wells Fargo Bank, N.A., 2012 Minn. App. Unpub. LEXIS 927 (Minn. Ct. App. Sept. 17, 2012).
- Paulson et al. v. 3M Company, C2-04-6309 (Washington County District Court, Minnesota). Defeated motion seeking class certification of a 67,000 member putative class claiming chemical exposure via drinking water contamination (2007) and obtained a defense verdict on the merits after a seven-week jury trial (2009).
- Cargill, Inc. v. JWH Special Circumstance LLC, 959 A.2d 1096 (Del. Ch. 2008).
- Lietz v. Northern States Power Co., 718 N.W.2d 865 (Minn. 2006).
- Vohs v. Miller, et. al., 2004 WL 1490177 (D. Minn. July 1, 2004).
Recognized on Minnesota Rising Stars list, 2008, 2010-2013 (Minnesota Rising Stars is a designation given to only 2.5 percent of Minnesota attorneys each year.)