Julian Zebot is a partner in Maslon's Litigation Group and focuses his practice on fiduciary and trust litigation as well as commercial litigation involving claims of unfair business competition, including lawsuits involving sales representatives and sales practices.
He has broad litigation experience involving fiduciary duties, trusts, probate, business torts, the Minnesota Termination of Sales Representatives Act ("MTSRA"), Lanham Act claims, class actions, and other complex commercial litigation, including litigation involving banks, other financial service businesses, manufacturers and companies with sales forces, and closely held companies.
Julian has represented both individuals and businesses in federal and state courts as well as arbitration proceedings. He has handled matters for clients at all stages of the litigation process, including trials and appeals. Julian has been selected for inclusion on the Minnesota Rising Stars list every year since 2010.
- Represented a multi-national marketing company in a breach of contract and tortious interference with contract dispute with a former vendor and a former employee; case settled after successful negotiation.
- Represented the officers and directors of an online brokerage service in a putative securities class action lawsuit and won dismissal of all the claims.
- Represented, as part of a team of attorneys, a non-controlling shareholder in a closely held medical device company in squeeze-out litigation and helped to obtain a favorable resolution for the client.
- Represented individual client in litigation surrounding the proceeds of the client's father's estate and obtained a jury verdict in favor of the client.
- Represented an individual partner in a lawsuit regarding a failed real estate development and helped to obtain voluntary dismissal of claims against the client.
- Represented, as part of a team of attorneys, a Fortune 500 manufacturer in a putative environmental liability/mass tort class action lawsuit and helped to obtain a defense jury verdict.
- Represented, as part of a team of attorneys, an officer and director of a wind energy development company in litigation regarding acquisition of the company and assisted in obtaining a favorable resolution for the client.
- Represented individual guarantors in litigation regarding defaulted loan obligation and helped to obtain a favorable resolution for the clients.
- Represented watch manufacturer in litigation regarding termination of its sales representative firm and obtained a favorable resolution for the client.
- Represented, as part of a team of attorneys, an LLC pursuing breach of fiduciary duty and negligence claims on behalf of investors in a futures hedge fund against the fund's former manager and helped to obtain a favorable resolution for the client.
- Represented a bank in litigation involving a mortgage repurchase agreement and helped to negotiate dismissal of claims against the client.
- Represented, as part of a team of attorneys, a bank in securities lending litigation and served as appellate counsel during trial.
- Represented income beneficiaries in litigation relating to charitable remainder unitrusts and helped to obtain a favorable order deferring decision on the merits to pending litigation in a different jurisdiction.
- Represented a publicly traded manufacturer in arbitration stemming from its former sales representative firm's termination of the contract between the parties and helped to negotiate a favorable resolution.
- Represented a bank/corporate trustee in litigation relating to a family trust's plan of distribution.
- Currently represents bank/corporate trustee in litigation relating to the diversification of the trust's investment portfolio.
- Represented a medical device manufacturer and its sales representative in unfair competition litigation involving a competitor.
- Currently represents a manufacturer in a natural resources damages lawsuit brought by the State of Minnesota.
- Larkin v. Wells Fargo Bank, N.A., 2014 Minn. App. Unpub. LEXIS 1077 (Minn. Ct. App. Oct. 6, 2014).
- Larkin v. Wells Fargo Bank, N.A., 2012 Minn. App. Unpub. LEXIS 927 (Minn. Ct. App. Sept. 17, 2012).
- Paulson et al. v. 3M Company, C2-04-6309 (Washington County District Court, Minnesota). Defeated motion seeking class certification of a 67,000 member putative class claiming chemical exposure via drinking water contamination (2007) and obtained a defense verdict on the merits after a seven-week jury trial (2009).
- Cargill, Inc. v. JWH Special Circumstance LLC, 959 A.2d 1096 (Del. Ch. 2008).
- Lietz v. Northern States Power Co., 718 N.W.2d 865 (Minn. 2006).
- Vohs v. Miller, et. al., 2004 WL 1490177 (D. Minn. July 1, 2004).
Pro Bono Award, for commitment to pro bono service, Maslon LLP, 2014
Recognized on Minnesota Rising Stars list as part of the Super Lawyers® selection process, 2008, 2010-2016 (Minnesota Rising Stars is a designation given to only 2.5 percent of Minnesota attorneys each year, based on a selection process that includes the recommendation of peers in the legal profession.)
North Star Lawyer, Minnesota State Bar Association, 2013-2015 (North Star Lawyer is a designation that recognizes members who provide 50 hours or more of pro bono legal services in a calendar year.)