Billing and Collections Specialist
Reports To: Collections and Legal Project Manager
Position Description: Support the accounting department, primarily in the area of client billing and collections, and as needed in other back-up support functions within the department.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for preparation of client invoices to attorneys.
- Generate monthly statements and coordinates distribution to clients with attorney and support team.
- Primary contact for select lawyers regarding various billing formats and software options available for billing.
- Reviews prebills and markups returned by attorneys and makes necessary edits and changes.
- Organize and maintain client billing notes and instructions for attorneys’ invoicing.
- Review delinquent accounts with Collections Manager to identify necessary payment reminder follow-ups.
- Assist with unallocated review and follow-up to attorneys as needed.
- Backup to other accounting department staff as needed.
- Any other special projects or responsibilities assigned from time to time.
C. General Performance Criteria
- Develops and maintains a cooperative working relationship with members of the Firm, clients, and other outside contacts.
- Anticipates and balances the workload based upon general guidelines established. Is able to meet short and/or unpredictable deadlines.
- Understands and conforms to Firm policies and procedures.
- Recognizes and utilizes the Firm's resources effectively and efficiently. Develops and maintains a sufficient working knowledge of the organization as a whole.
- Plans, organizes and carries out assigned job responsibilities within established time parameters.
- Confers with supervisor with regard to overtime requirements and requests approval in advance of overtime. Is willing to accept overtime to complete assigned tasks.
- Develops mutual working relationship with supervisor in order to anticipate work needs. Prepares in advance to relieve supervisor of as many administrative tasks as possible.
- Maintains confidentiality.
- Uses Firm time conscientiously. Follows hybrid schedule requirements, adheres to policy on unplanned time off.
- Consistently projects a positive, professional attitude and approach to the job, the Firm and co-workers.
Skills & Experience:
- Preferred 1-2 years-experience in legal operation service role and/or legal accounting.
- Experience with automated systems in a professional services environment.
- Experience with Aderant and electronic billing software is ideal.