Law Student UPLIFT Trial Coach
Volunteer Job Summary – Law Student Trial Coach:
Law Student Trial Coaches will volunteer in UPLIFT’s mock trial program, using assigned curriculum to teach students in after-school programs taking place at participating middle schools, culminating in a mock trial program. The time commitment per week is approximately five hours, including preparation and teaching and mentoring at the after-school program. Law Student Trial Coaches will have the opportunity to work and connect with volunteer attorney coaches from private practice, in-house counsel offices, and public service. Eligible candidates must have access to transportation to their assigned middle school. Completion of or enrollment in evidence course preferred.
Duties/ Responsibilities Include:
- Uses assigned curriculum to teach and mentor eighth-grade students about purpose of criminal trials, burden of proof, role of participants in a trial, elements of a trial.
- Leads and supports volunteer attorney mock trial coaches in teaching eighth-grade students how to perform trial skills: openings, closings, direct examinations, cross examinations, objections, impeachments, exhibits, etc.
- Regularly communicates schedules and curriculum plans with assigned attorney coaches.
- Maintains files with curriculum and other data.
- Mock trial programs run from September to March, with an approximate five-hour per week commitment.
- Mandatory trainings will take place in September to provide coaches with thorough instruction on the curriculum and learning goals.
- After-school meetings with students begin in October. Coaches assigned to St. Louis Park will meet on Tuesdays. Coaches assigned to Columbia Heights will meet on Wednesdays.
- Mock trial exercises take place in March to complete the program. St. Louis Park exercises will take place during Minnesota Law’s spring break.
- Excellent verbal and trial skills.
- Excellent written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong leadership skills with ability to motivate and encourage others.
Education and Experience:
- This volunteer position is open to 2L and 3L students in the 2021-2022 school year. Enrollment/completion of evidence course is preferred.
UPLIFT Legal Institute for Teens
UPLIFT is a pipeline program serving middle school students who reflect the rich diversity of the Twin Cities. UPLIFT mock trial offers middle school students engaging opportunities to learn from volunteer attorneys about the legal profession, criminal justice, and the court system. Participation in the program helps middle school students build confidence, develop analytical and speaking skills, foster long-term vision, and create a framework to pursue academic excellence in high school. Volunteering as a Law Student Trial Coach with UPLIFT is an incredibly rewarding experience. Not only will law student coaches hone and develop their trial and standup skills, but they will also have the opportunity to network and create relationships with volunteer lawyers from the local legal community.
Interested candidates should submit their cover letter, resume, law school transcript, and a writing sample to Angie Roell, Legal Talent Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The application deadline is September 10th or until the positions are filled. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.