Karen B. Bjorkman
Karen Bjorkman has extensive experience in all areas of commercial real estate. Karen's no-nonsense, practical approach to negotiation and legal resolutions helps her facilitate complex transactions, with an emphasis on completing the transactions in an orderly and efficient manner.
Karen represents property owners, developers, borrowers, and lenders in all types of property-related transactions, including acquisitions, easement, license and occupancy issues, development of real estate, risk analysis in connection with environmental contamination, financing, and drafting and negotiating of commercial leases from both the landlord and the tenant's perspective, including retail, office, industrial and ground leases. She has a specialty in railroad-related real property law, including sales and acquisitions related to commuter rail development. Her practice also crosses into related, complex contract, liability, insurance law, and environmental liability questions. She also represents financial institutions in connection with their commercial lending transactions, including drafting and negotiating, workouts, and foreclosures on all aspects of commercial and construction lending documents.
Karen has extensive experience in title insurance, survey and easement matters and has represented multiple clients in Section 1031 tax-deferred exchanges.
Numerous sales and purchases of commercial properties, including:
- Negotiation for the sale or acquisition of commuter rail easements in multiple states.
- Negotiation for the sale of 7,000+ utility easements in connection with an asset sale of a major regional telephone company.
- Acquisition of more than 100 nationally located sites for restaurant development.
- Acquisition of numerous sites for development and operation, both locally and nationally, including redevelopment sites with environmental cleanup.
- Replatting commercial property for development and resale.
- Hundreds of retail, industrial, and commercial leases.
- Workout of defaulted commercial mortgage loans, including specialty properties, such as shopping centers, movie theaters, and resort properties.
- The sale of business assets, including real estate.
- Documentation of over 1,000 mortgage-based loans to local banks for construction, land development, and permanent financing.
Minnesota State Bar Association Board Certified Specialist in Real Property Law, since 2000
Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America®, 2022-2023
AV Preeminent, Martindale-Hubbell®