Peter Hennigan is a member of Maslon's Litigation Group and has successfully represented clients across a broad range of matters in the areas of tort and product liability, business torts and breaches of contract, trademark infringement, employment, health insurance, land use, and personal injury. He has particular experience in complex electronic discovery issues, including compliance with preservation obligations, loss prevention, litigation hold implementation, and maintaining privileged communications.
Peter is a graduate of Yale Law School where he received the Joseph Parker Prize for the best student paper on a subject connected to legal history. Following law school, Peter served as a law clerk to both the Hon. Ralph K. Winter, Jr. of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit and the Hon. Diana E. Murphy of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit. Peter earned his Ph.D. and M.A. from Cornell University and his bachelor's degree, summa cum laude, from Carleton College.
- Stonehenge Development, LLC v. Venture Pass Partners, LLC. Lead counsel on dispute between commercial developers. Successfully obtained summary judgment for client.
- In re Marriage of Ali and Abdullahi. Co-lead counsel on high asset marital dissolution; obtained favorable judgment and attorneys' fees.
- Paulson v. Beliveau. Obtained largest recovery from the Real Estate Recovery Fund in thirteen years on behalf of pro bono client victimized by equity strippers. (Received commendation from Judge Patrick J. Schiltz for "extraordinarily thorough and careful work.")
- General Mills, Inc. v. Fage Dairy Processing Industry, S.A. Co-lead counsel on trademark dispute before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB). Prevailed at TTAB and obtained sanctions against opposing counsel.
- BTC-USA Corp. v. Novacare, S.A. Obtained dismissal of federal court claims for alleged fraud and breach of contracts governed by the United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods.
- SuperValu, Inc. v. Associated Grocers, Inc. Successfully obtained summary judgment in client's favor on breach of the duty to negotiate in good faith and fraud claims.
- Franklin v. Town of West Lakeland and Holiday Stationstores. Successfully obtained settlement and dismissal of all claims relating to client's construction of a convenience store and gas station.
- Clear Channel, Inc. v. City of Minnetonka. Obtained preliminary injunction enjoining City of Minnetonka from enforcing emergency moratorium of the operation of digital displays during daytime hours.
- Pinewski Builders, Inc. v. City of Coon Rapids. Overturned City of Coon Rapids emergency zoning moratorium on due process grounds and obtained court order requiring City to grant client preliminary plat approval.
- United Faith Pentecostal Church v. Presbytery of the Twin Cities Area. Successfully obtained summary judgment in client's favor in litigation over ownership of church property.
- Fordyce v. ICON Health & Fitness, Inc. Successfully obtained settlement and dismissal of all claims relating to personal injury lawsuit.
- In re: Operation of the Missouri River System Litigation, 8th Circuit. Represented environmental groups in challenges to federal management of the Missouri River dams under the ESA and NEPA.
Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America®, 2023
North Star Lawyer, Minnesota State Bar Association, 2021 (North Star Lawyer is a designation that recognizes members who provide 50 hours or more of pro bono legal services in a calendar year.)