Howard B. Tarkow
Howard Tarkow's law practice focuses on representing employers on their workplace issues and concerns. For more than 35 years, Howard has advised Maslon's business and nonprofit clients to help them maintain positive employee relations, solve both easy and tough employment and labor problems, and minimize the risk of expensive and disruptive legal claims.
Howard provides timely, service-oriented, cost-effective, and practical advice and counsel. His practice includes representing employers in discrimination, wage & hour, and other administrative proceedings as well as before arbitrators and in court. Howard also represents employers in matters involving unions, including at the collective bargaining table, in grievance and arbitration cases, in matters at the National Labor Relations Board, and in labor campaigns.
Howard regularly provides interesting and creative interactive training programs for clients and their supervisors on anti-discrimination, anti-harassment, and a variety of other workplace law issues. He is also a frequent speaker at continuing legal education conferences.
- Todd v. Ortho Biotech Inc., 949 F. Supp. 724 (D. Minn. 1996), rev'd 138 F.3d 733 (8th Cir. 1998), cert. granted and judgment vacated, 525 U.S. 802 (1998).
- Rhinehart et al. v. S.E. Rykoff & Co. et al., Unpublished (E.D. Cal.). Successful defense of employer in class action under Section 301 of Labor Management Act of 1947.
- Numerous successful defenses of employers in unfair labor practice proceedings before Regional Directors of the National Labor Relations Board.
- Numerous successful defenses of employers in grievance cases decided by arbitrators.
- Numerous successful defenses of employers in discrimination cases before governmental agencies.
Advice and Counsel
- Drafting and review of employer policies and procedures, non-competition agreements, and other employment materials.
- Daily advice to clients needing prompt and practical advice to work through difficult and potentially risky and expensive workplace issues and disputes.
- Workplace training on the prevention of harassment, understanding workplace law, and for employers that prefer to deal directly with employees rather than through unions and other labor organizations.
Sidney Barrows Lifetime Commitment Award, Twin Cities Cardozo Society, 2016
Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America®, 2018-2021
Recognized in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Labor & Employment, Minnesota, 2009-2017; cited by Chambers as "wise, measured and widely respected" (2017); and "highly regarded for his versatile labor and employment practice" (2016)
Recognized on Minnesota Super Lawyers® list, 1994, 1997-2018 (Minnesota Super Lawyers® is a designation given to only 5 percent of Minnesota attorneys each year, based on a selection process that includes the recommendation of peers in the legal profession.)
AV Preeminent, Martindale-Hubbell®