UPLIFT Law Student Trial Coach
Volunteer Job Summary – Law Student Trial Coaches:
Law Student Trial Coaches will volunteer in UPLIFT’s mock trial program, using assigned curriculum to teach students in after school programs taking place at participating middle schools, culminating in a mock trial competition. The time commitment per week is approximately 5 hours, including preparation and teaching and mentoring at the after school program. Law Student Trial Coaches will have the opportunity to work and connect with volunteer attorney coaches from private practice, in-house counsel offices, and public service. Eligible candidates must have access to transportation to their assigned middle school. Completion of or enrollment in Evidence course preferred.
Duties/ Responsibilities Include:
- Uses assigned curriculum to teach and mentor 8th grade students about the purpose of criminal trials, burden of proof, role of participants in a trial, elements of a trial.
- Leads and supports volunteer attorney mock trial coaches in teaching 8th grade students how to perform trial skills: openings, closings, direct examinations, cross examinations, objections, impeachments, exhibits, etc.
- Regularly communicates schedules and curriculum plans with assigned attorney coaches.
- Maintains files with curriculum and other data.
- Mock trial programs run from October – March, with an approximate 5 hour per week commitment.
- Mandatory trainings will take place in September to provide Coaches with thorough instruction on the curriculum and learning goals.
- After school meetings with students begin in October. Coaches assigned to St. Louis Park will meet on Tuesdays. Coaches assigned to Columbia Heights and Roseville will meet on Wednesdays.
- Mock trial exercises take place in March during Minnesota Law’s spring break to complete the program.
- Excellent verbal and trial skills.
- Excellent written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong leadership skills with ability to motivate and encourage others.
Education and Experience:
This volunteer position is open to all law students enrolled in the 2022-2023 school year.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to Angie Roell, Administrator, at email@example.com.