Our Commitment to Justice
Signatory to the ABA's Pledge for Change for Disability Diversity in the Legal Profession. Learn more.
Member of Twin Cities Diversity in Practice. Learn more.
Member of Leadership Counsel on Legal Diversity. Learn more.
Winner of the "2015 Community Impact Award" in the Professional Services Category by Minnesota Business Magazine
Winner of the 2018 "Light of Justice" Award from the Texas Defender Service
In the Community: Our Commitment to Justice
Our firm's founding story is one of humble beginnings, considerable challenges, determination, and dedication—anchored by a profound commitment to Minnesota. We recognize that we must act as a leader to help strengthen both our profession and the communities we serve. Our efforts include the following:
- NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund: In 2020, Maslon celebrated Juneteenth by making a contribution to support the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund (LDF)—a premier legal organization that has long fought for racial justice. We are proud of our longstanding commitment to advancing civil rights and liberties, but recognize that our renewed commitment to acknowledge and take the necessary steps to fight for racial justice is critical at this time.
- AchieveMpls: In 2016, Maslon celebrated our 60th anniversary by making a five-year $60,000 financial commitment to support AchieveMpls, the strategic nonprofit partner of Minneapolis Public Schools dedicated to closing the achievement gap by preparing inner-city students to meet challenges and accomplish their dreams of college, meaningful work, and a bright future. As stated on achievempls.org, "The stakes couldn't be higher for our young people—especially young people of color—and our region." Maslon continues to help support the organization's mission through board service and annual contribution.
- Sponsorships: Maslon is pleased to support a variety of organizations working to advance diversity through leadership, active engagement, and sponsorship, including the below:
- The Advocates for Human Rights
- Global Rights for Women
- Human Rights Campaign
- Minnesota Association of Black Lawyers
- Minnesota Asian Pacific American Bar Association
- Minnesota Hispanic Bar Association
- Minnesota Lavender Bar Association
- Minnesota Women Lawyers
- Page Education Foundation
- Women Winning
- Representative Involvement: Maslon attorneys proudly serve in leadership positions within impactful organizations and have been appointed to official commissions working to advance diversity, equity, and inclusion, including the following currently held posts:
- AchieveMpls, Board of Directors: Brad Pederson
- Federal Bar Association Minnesota Chapter, Diversity Committee: Keiko Sugisaka
- Hispanic National Bar Association Latina Commission: Melissa Muro LaMere
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity, Fellow: Melissa Muro LaMere
- Minnesota Commission on Judicial Selection: Mary Knoblauch, Melissa Muro LaMere, Keiko Sugisaka
- Minnesota Infinity Project, Board of Directors: Melissa Muro LaMere
- National Native American Bar Association, Board of Directors: Tom Pack
- National Native American Bar Association, Young Lawyers Committee, Chair: Tom Pack
- Twin Cities Diversity in Practice, Board of Directors: Tom Pack
Pro Bono Service: Maslon has a deep commitment to providing pro bono service to protect both individual rights and the collective rights of the disadvantaged. As attorneys, we believe such work is our moral and ethical responsibility and is fundamental to the integrity of the judicial system. As a result, our work spans a broad spectrum of clients and cases, including civil rights matters. Read more about Maslon's commitment to pro bono service.